Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 42 - 43 Christmas Season







Christmas is in full swing a Nantawan School. This whole week I have been preparing Christmas lessons, decorating my classroom with Christmas ornaments, and practicing with the kids for their big Christmas show tonight (4 hour production). Yesterday we had a Christmas party in our homerooms where the students shared white elephant gifts and brought it tons of food. It was fun to see how excited they were for the day!

All around Thailand Christmas is celebrated with gifts, trees, and Christmas music, but the people are all Buddhists so it is really just a consumer holiday. I doubt any of my students know the true Christmas story about the birth of Jesus, but they do sing Christian songs at school for their program. In fact the last song we are doing with the entire school tonight is the Sister Act version of Joyful, Joyful (I'll post video later). It has been nice to be surrounded by Christmas things during the holiday season but a bit sad not to be surrounded my family and friends who celebrate the true meaning! I think the two things I miss most during the season is real Christmas cookies (not the ones in tins like they have here) and the snow. (but I seem to be surviving 80 degree days just fine!) I had my kindergartners build a big snowman this week in class but we had to use poster board and it just wasn't the same!

Well I actually get a nice two week break for Christmas and New Year's. My friend Lindsey, who was in the TESOL course, and I are flying to Vietnam in the morning for a two week backpacking trip across the country and into Cambodia! We are excited to spend a couple weeks exploring the mountains and beaches! I'll try to keep my blog updated!

****I have added a 4 pictures above of my kindergarten girls (TL), my 1st grade boys in their Chinese puppet costumes - hence the makeup (BL), the school production of Joyful, Joyful (TR) and myself with 4 of my 1st grade girls. Below is a video of my 1st grade girls doing a traditional Thai dance!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Merry Christmas Jennifer!

We are about to leave for Christmas Eve services and then will be at Karl's for supper. You will be missed. Our prayers are with you and we hope you are in a place where you will take time to reflect on Jesus' birth in Bethlehem and the wonderful gift God has given.

Know that wherever you are, you are held close to each of us at this special time. We pray for safe travels and adventures for you . . .

God Bless You - JOY TO THE WORLD!!

We Love YOU!!

Mom, Dad, Liz, and John