Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day 27 - Nantawan Trilingual School

Tonight I took an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to start my new teaching job at Nantawan Trilingual School about 10 km directly South of Bangkok (about 2 km from the Gulf of Thailand). I arrived at school by 7:30 am and was in the classroom monitoring midterm exams by 8:30!! I guess it was good to be thrown into things right away, because I could meet the students and other teachers. I will be a homeroom teacher for about fifteen 1st graders and then will teach 2 periods (40 minutes each) of ESL to 1st graders and 2 periods of ESL to second graders in the morning. In the afternoon I will teach 1 or 2 periods of ESL (or fun and games as I am told) to Kindergartners!! I am excited about my schedule!

Nantawan is a private primary school for students in preschool - 6th grade (the families of the students are very wealthy). There are about 350 students in total at the school, so the size is wonderful. (they had prepped us to have 40 - 50 students in the class like most Thai schools, but I will only be teaching 9 - 11 students). The students learn to speak English (which they are suppose to speak 70% of the time), Chinese, and Thai. The English level of these students is very high. They understand everything you say, but it sounds like they need help writing and forming the correct sentences! Everyone seems very nice and encouraging so far! I have the website for the school if you want to check it out. I will post more pictures in the weeks to come, but at least you can see the facility! http://www.nantawan.ac.th/

The school also provided me an apartment to stay in near the school. I'll post more about that soon....

No comments: