Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 230 - 233 Livingstone and Victoria Falls




On Friday I headed to Lusaka with the group from Cornerstone. They were heading back to the states and I made my way to Livingstone (on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe) to visit the famous Victoria Falls. Livingstone was named after David Livingstone, a British missionary who in the 1800’s was the first white person to discover Victoria Falls. He named it after Queen Victoria of England.
On Sunday I went to visit the falls which was absolutely spectacular. The falls stretch across both Zambia and Zimbabwe, so you can never see the whole thing unless you pay to go on a helicopter ride. The falls are still very powerful after the rainy season, so when I walked across the bridge near the falls I rented a raincoat, because otherwise I would have been soaked! There are also many animals around this area (lots of safaris). It was fun to drive along and see elephants and impalas right next the road leading to falls.

There are many thrill seeking adventures around the gorge area of the falls. I had seen some of the events on the Amazing Race, so on Monday I went repelling, on a zip line and jumped 160 feet on a gorge swing. It was a huge adrenaline rush and I loved every minute of it!!

No comments: